Tips For Genealogy Research
1. Decide which branch of the family you want to search, (paternal or maternal).
2. Complete a pedigree chart to the best of your ability. (Midwest genealogy center forms)
3. Complete a group sheet for each family in your lineage (self, parents, grand parents, etc)
4. Write your biography and place a photo with it.
5. Complete oral interviews with eldest family members, your generation and younger.
6. Develop a filing system according to family groups, use acid free paper&sheet protectors
7. Get family vital records and obituaries from family members or other resources.
8. Use a computer to obtain records like: census, war draft, marriage, death, & military.
9. Enter your family data in a software program like Family Tree Maker or Legacy 9.
10. Obtain and organize photos suitable to be used in a media presentation.
11. Develop a display, power point presentation, book, DVD, or other media to share.
Carol J Calvin, M.S. ed, Genealogy Educator